Oh Captain of Porto and Local Commander of the Maritime Police of Vila Real de Santo António and Tavira, Commander João Afonso Martins, told Lusa that the search took place overnight and continued today in the afternoon with the help of the Force aircraft. The Air Force is the Spanish navy.
“We tried to send as many ways as possible in the first few minutes, but so far it has not been possible to find” the girl, complained the commander João Afonso Martins.
The official explained that in the first hours of the operation, which began at about 8:30 pm on Saturday, 20 workers involved in seven procedures in the water, as well as a heavy helicopter from the Air Force, a boat to rescue the wrecked people. from Spain and other measures of the GNR and Civil Protection, among others.
According to the report of the Captain of the Port of Vila Real de Santo António, who is in charge of the search, the wind was blowing from the north and the girl entered “a kind of panic / fear and did not row”, which means. that “the wind picked up and began to move towards the south”.
“The man tried again and jumped into the water, but unfortunately he couldn’t catch them, he didn’t have the strength to reach the group”, said military commander João Afonso Martins.
From the moment he received the missing information, “all available channels were opened, which were many”, confirmed the person in charge.
According to the person in charge of the operation, the first to arrive at the site were two sturdy boats, one from the rescue center and the other from the Maritime Police of Vila Real de Santo António, which arrived at the site approx. 25 minutes.
“But unfortunately the ships arrived already at night, so they were no longer visible”, he said, adding that “there was no moon, which only rose, in the last quarter, at 04:00”.
Other equipment soon arrived, including an eight-man Coast Guard ship and an Air Force helicopter.
[Notícia atualizada às 09h53]
Read Also: Algarve. The lack of lifeguards worries beach vendors